Pictures from the 2009 Scottish Championships held at Loch Ard, 4/5 July - click to expand
This event was held at the club during a spell of warm and pleasant weather. The winds were light and variable, which tested the skills and patience of the contestants, and also of the race officers! Five races were held, three back-to-back on Saturday, and two back-to-back on Sunday. The contestant's ages ranged from 9 years to 73 years.
The consistent sailing of the Lulham-Robinson brothers, Matt and Ben, just outclassed the veteran single-handed sailor John Hugo, although it was a close thing at times. John and Clare Peterson came a close third overall. The three boats from Shetland Sailing Centre acquitted themselves creditably, especially the novice sailors who were accustomed to sailing in sea winds rather than the shifting winds of a hill-surrounded loch. The oldest boat in the contest (766) was competitively sailed by Mike Heath and his daughter Caroline.
This is the first time in recent years that so many Mirror dinghies have been seen at the club. In years past they featured strongly as many archive pictures show. It is hoped that this visit may provide inspiration to members to take up sailing these elegant, exciting and serviceable little boats.
Pictures from the prizegiving - click to expand
Trophies were awarded as follows:
- Mirror Champions: Matt and Ben Lulham-Robinson (Yeadon/Otley/Hollingworth Lake)
- Single Handed Trophy: John Hugo (Annandale SC)
- Youth Trophy: John and Clare Peterson (Whitstable YC)
- Junior Trophy: Craig Forrest and Callum Mustard (Shetland Sailing Centre)
- Master's Trophy: Mike and Caroline Heath (Aberdeen and Stonehaven YC)
- Team Trophy: Shetland Sailing Centre team