Which Jack Holt design was built in the greatest numbers and has taught many thousands of sailors the basics of sailing, racing, rowing and outboard motoring? Answer - the Mirror! It was therefore fitting that the largest single class represented at the Jack Holt Centennial Regatta was the red-sailed Mirror.
While the New Winder-built GRP boats with centre mainsheet and single piece mast predominate, it was good to see that several traditional gaff rigs were present, and were well up the fleet showing that in the right hands the gaff rig is just as quick. Grace Yeoman and Izzy Barker from Itchenor SC won the Mirrors with a masterful display of heavy wind sailing with a 2nd and two 1st but they didn't have it all their own way with Eleanor and Imogen Bellfield from Warsash SC winning the first race with some cunning tidal tactics. It was good to see a healthy turnout of boats from Itchenor and Warsash, along with the host club, with several boats attending their first open meeting - but it was also nice to have boats from Chipstead and Hill Head, two well-known Mirror clubs, on the circuit. Lottie and Becky Johnson from Hill Head won a Race Officer's Special Prize for completing all three races, and not capsizing, at their second ever open meeting! The next Southern Travellers Trophy event is at Itchenor SC 6/7 May.
- 70624 Grace Yeoman and Izzy Barker (Itchenor SC)
- 70505 Eleanor Bellfield and Imogen Bellfield (Warsash SC)
- 70676 Celia Hansell and Paddy Jeffries (Itchenor SC)
- 70560 Jenny Lorimer and Sally Lorimer (Warsash SC)
- 70652 Tom Weston and Hannah Jones (Itchenor SC)
- 70346 Lotty Johson and Becky Johson (Hill Head SC)
- 39508 James Goode and Charlie Goode (Chipstead SC)
- 68943 Looby Smith and Isobel Porter (Chichester YC)
- 70499 Alice Buchanan and Jess Jarman (Warsash SC)
- 69647 Kezia Brewer and Laura Partridge (Itchenor SC)